Thursday, November 18, 2021

St. Frigo




Jimmie Durham (1940-2021), St. Frigo, 1996,Refrigerator, 132 x 60 x 60 cm. 

 

"I don’t really destroy things, I just change them, I change their shape, just like any sculptor does. I chose the refrigerator. I stoned it for a week, every day, until I got the shape really changed. I chose it because I wanted to throw stones at something as sculptural work, but I wanted an object that no one would care about. I thought that if I stoned a TV or an automobile, everyone would be glad and care in some way or another, and I thought that a refrigerator was completely neutral. It was, until I started stoning it and then it wasn’t neutral anymore. Then it started being brave, so that in the end I called it Saint Frigo, because it was a martyr. I saved its life by making it a martyr. It was going into the trash, now it’s eternal, now it’s art.”

 

#JimmieDurham #Sculpture #refrigerator #stoning #trash #martyr #monuments