Friday, February 27, 2015

A Kind of Loss

Used together: seasons, books, a piece of music.

The keys, teacups, bread basket, sheet and a bed.

A hope chest of words, of gestures, brought back, used,
used up.

A household order maintained. Said. Done.
And always a head was there.
I've fallen in love with winter, with a Viennese septet, with summer.
With Village maps, a mountain nest, a beach and a
bed.

Kept a calender cult, declared promises irrevocable,
bowed before something, was pious to a nothing
(-to a folded newspaper, cold ashes, the scribbled piece of paper) ,
fearless in religion, for our bed was the church.



From my lake view arose my inexhaustible painting.

From my balcony I greeted entire peoples, my neighbors.

By the chimney fire, in safety, my hair took on its deepest hue.

The ringing at the door was the alarm for my joy.



It's not you I've lost,

but the world.

Ingeborg Bachmann