Monday, May 3, 2010

Who What

For a long time you have been nonexistent
A face sometimes famous and sufficient unto itself
How I love you I don’t know For a long time
I have loved you with indifference I love you to hatred
By omission by murmur out of cowardice
Obstinately Against all probability
I love you losing you to lose
I who refuse to be ours dragged
From stern (a balcony jig-sawed on salt)
Ex-who dragged backwards between two waters
Now what
Mouth punished
Mouth punished heart pacing the orbit
A question to all vainly opening up third party

Qui Quoi
Il y a longtemps que tu n’existes pas
Visage quelquefois celebre et suffisant
Comment je t’aime Je ne sais Depuis longtemps
Je t’aime avec indifference Je t’aime a haine
Par omission par murmure par lachete
Avec obstination Contre toute vraisemblance
Je t’aime en te perdant pour perdre
Ce moi qui refuse d’etre des notres entraine
De poupe (ce balcon chantourne sur le sel)
Ex-qui de dos traine entre deux eaux
Maintenant quoi
Bouche punie
Bouche punie c?ur arpentant l’orbite
Une question a tout frayant en vain le tiers

Michel Deguy
From: Tombeau de Du Bellay
Paris 1973.